EMERGENCY SHUT-OFF PROCEDURES
Do You Have a Plumbing Emergency?
In the event of water leaks or flooding, reduce the risk of water damage by turning off the water source. Choose the issue that best applies to you below and follow the instructions to perform an emergency water shut off.
You can also call your local water department for help.
Call Advanced Plumbing and Rooter Service, an emergency plumber, at 925-329-3597 immediately for emergency service.
Leaking Water Heater
- Turn off the gas or electricity to the water heater.
- For gas water heaters: Turn the knob on top of the thermostat clockwise to the off position. The thermostat is located near the bottom of the water heater.
- For electric water heaters: Go to your circuit breaker panel, find the breaker for your water heater, and switch it to the off position.
- Turn the water supply off by twisting the handle on the water supply shut-off valve clockwise until it stops. This valve is typically located on top of the water heater, on the right side cold line.
- Drain the water heater if necessary to avoid water damage. First, attach a garden hose to the drain faucet located at the bottom of the water heater. Run the other end of the hose to a lower location where hot or rusty water will not cause damage.